Thursday, February 5, 2009

FOCA and It's Evil Twin

I was surprised to open a copy of The Catholic Telegraph and find a Catholic News Service brief assuring me that the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) was nothing that I need to worry about. According to CNS, FOCA died with the 110th Congress, has not been reintroduced, would not result in the closing of any Catholic hospitals, and would not threaten the conscience rights of any who work in healthcare.

What a relief! I'm sure we can count on Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid to keep the legislation from being introduced in the 111th Congress (I typed with tongue firmly in cheek). Somebody tell the USCCB Secretariat for Pro-Life Activities to get with the program! Lest anybody miss my sarcasm, I want to state clearly that I am dubious of the assurances in the CNS brief.

Meanwhile, the Catholic News Agency reports on the Prevention First Act (PFA). This act, which has be introduced in the present congress under the bill number S. 21, would dramatically increase funding for contraception and explicit sexual education. Emphasis on FOCA could draw attention away from PFA. Both pieces of legislation are gravely immoral.

St. Maria Goretti, pray for us.

No comments: