Monday, October 5, 2009

Bone of My Bones

I’d like to mention just one more time (for now) that I find great significance in the way that the human family with husband, wife, and children, images the Holy Trinity with Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The language of Sunday’s first reading, from Genesis, mirrors this as well. Adam says of the woman, “This one, at last, is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh.”

Doesn’t that sound amazingly similar to the description of the Son in the Nicene Creed: God from God, light from light, true God from true God? God the Son images God the Father, and the woman images the man. God is love, and the love that is shared between God the Father and God the Son is so perfect, that it proceeds from the Father and the Son as God the Holy Spirit. The love that exists between a man and a woman joined in marriage is so strong, that it proceeds forth as a new person, born from the womb of the woman.

I am not worthy of the great gift that God has given me: the chance to be a living icon of the Trinity! I certainly did not appreciate the full depth of the vocation to marriage when my wife and I exchanged vows. Even now, the full depth of meaning has yet to penetrate my consciousness. O Lord, help me to be worthy of this vocation!

No comments: