Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Letters to the Churches

The weekday mass readings are starting into the Book of Revelation. This has got to be one of the most misunderstood books of the Bible, with televangelists reading all kinds of signs of the times into the apocalyptic imagery. I think that it's time to blow the dust off of my Scott Hahn tape set, The End, and give it another listen.

Yesterday, the church at Ephesus was told, "you have lost the love you had at first. Realize how far you have fallen. Repent, and do the works you did at first." Today, the church in Sardis was told, "I know your works, that you have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Be watchful and strengthen what is left, which is going to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God. Remember then how you accepted and heard; keep it, and repent. If you are not watchful, I will come like a thief, and you will never know at what hour I will come upon you." The church in Laodicea was told, "I know your works; I know that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, ‘I am rich and affluent and have no need of anything,’ and yet do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked."

I can't just look at others and say, "He's talking about you," because I know that he's talking about me.

Lord, help me, help us all, to recover the earnestness of fresh faith. You love us, and You are knocking at the door. I want to welcome You in, and dine with You. I want You to be Lord of my life. I plead for you to give me the strength to follow you, for I know that your grace is sufficient.

No comments: