Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Light Blogging

There's lots to blog about, I just haven't been able to find the time. I admire those prodigious bloggers who pound out post after post, but I try not to do too much cutting and pasting, so I'm typically looking at about an hour of effort for each post (each substantive post, this is an on-the-fly quick post). I told my dear wife that I've got at least three things that I want to post about, but I'm not looking forward to the amount of thought and effort required, and I haven't been able to find the time.

I'd just like to share what my week looks like.

I managed a post on Sunday, mostly typed one-handed as I cared for our clingy nine-month old. Yes, she did take a nap, but during that time, I engaged in a little online Call of Duty gaming. I might be pushing middle age, but I'm still a kid at heart. Back when she was eight, our nine-year old had a couple of friends over (Jamie's Emma and Alice, actually). I was playing a first person shooter on the computer, and one of the twins (the one who likes cats) looked at me like it was the strangest thing she had ever seen. This past Sunday, the rest of the family eventually came home, and the house returned to its usual chaos.

Monday is my selfish day. You'll be lucky to get a post out of me on most Monday's, unless it's an early post. Typically, after dinner (did I mention that I have a day job?), my wife and I will go to the evening (7 p.m.) mass at Holy Redeemer, and then I'll stop in for adoration at St. Augustine. There's a rosary and prayer for vocations starting at 8 p.m., then Benediction (sometimes with Evening Prayer, depending on which deacon is assigned that week), closing at 9 p.m. This is where the selfish part starts. When I get home, my wife usually has the kids in bed, and I am able to sit down and watch Heroes on NBC, followed by Medium. It's the only two hours of television that I actually look forward to each week. Strangely, when the new episodes run out and the Monday programming schedule returns to reality shows and game shows, it is liberating. When Howie Mandel is on instead of Heroes, I experience both disappointment and relief.

Tuesday is Knights of Columbus night. Every other week I have a meeting, either a General Meeting on the second Tuesday of the month or an Officers Meeting on the fourth Tuesday of the Month.

Wednesday is Why Catholic? Six weeks in the fall, six weeks in the spring. We're in the final session of the four year program now. More about Why Catholic in a future post.

Thursday is ConQuest. From 6:30 til 8:30, me and several other men are trying to form young boys aged 8 or 9 through junior high, with the help of a few older boys. Virtues are taught through stories of saints and athletic contests, especially dodge ball. Poster night and skit night always produce interesting results. ConQuest this week, however, is cancelled, because of an open house and a musical production by the elementary school. Tomorrow evening, I'll be watching my third grader play an owl on stage, and then joining the rest of the throng of parents in touring the classroom.

On Friday night we usually try to do something as a family, whether it's playing a board game or sitting down together to watch a family movie.

Add in time for prayer and devotions, reading and exercise, and I don't have a lot of time left for blogging. I don't know how some people do it. Rest assured, however, that I have lots of thoughts bouncing around in my head. They want to come out, and I'll try to get them out, if only so they don't disappear as if they never existed.

No comments: