Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Thursday Before Ascension Sunday?

I’m indulging my stubborn German side today. The Archdiocese of Cincinnati is one of the many in the United States that has transferred the Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord from Thursday to Sunday because, well, it’s just too inconvenient for people to attend mass on Thursday. I am choosing to observe the Ascension today, because I like the idea of the Ascension coming forty days after Easter. Further, the whole idea of a novena comes from the nine days between the Ascension and Pentecost. You lose all of that by moving the celebration to Sunday.

So, last night and this morning, I said the Liturgy of the Hours for the Ascension. And when I read the scriptures for the day, I read the scriptures for the Ascension. And tomorrow, I will begin a novena to the Holy Spirit.

As an individual, I’m allowed to do that with my private devotions.

No comments: