Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Vine on Mothers' Day

On the way to mass this morning, we (my wife and I) were talking to the kids and each other about today's gospel.


I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

John 15:5


My first impulse was to reach back to Isaiah 11:1 - "There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots." In the gospel Jesus is saying that we are the branches, and in a sense, we are incorporated into Him through our baptism and the mission of the messiah is passed on to His Church.

But then I started to wonder how one might tie this gospel in with Mothers' Day.


Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house;
your children will be like olive shoots around your table.
Lo, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord.

Psalm 128:3-4


Jesus is the vine, and we are his branches. A mother is like a vine, and her children like olive shoots.

After a long day including visits to my mother-in-law, my mother, and my wife's grandmother, I don't have the energy to explore the similarities and differences, but it is obvious that they are there. I think I'll just say that my wife is like God, and leave it at that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOOOHHHHH PLEEEASE!!!
I told you in the van that I am NOT the vine--I don't come close to God, though I might think I do at times. ;)