Thursday, June 25, 2009

5K Tour 2009 Gut Check

Those participating in the Shelby County 5K Tour are in the heart of the season. The first three races are down, and this week provides a gut check, with an evening race on Thursday in Sidney with the next race just 36 hours later in Anna on Saturday morning. For younger runners, this might not be remarkable, but I'm pushing forty, and I find that my body doesn't recover as quickly as it used to. The half-way point, race six of twelve, will be on July 4th in Fort Loramie.

The season is actually going pretty well for me, if race performance is any indication. My times on all three of the first races were significantly improved over last year, and I am well situated point-wise in the standings for my age group. However, my hip has been bothering me, so I've been hesitant to try much speed training. I find myself resorting to ibuprofen a little more frequently than I'd like (I'd like none at all!).

I'm wondering whether my shoes, which are supposed to be suited for runners with heavier frames and/or stability problems, have changed my normal stride.

At any rate, I've already registered for both the Thursday race and the Saturday race. I'm hoping that come Saturday afternoon, I'll still be able to walk!

No comments: